Sunday, June 19, 2011

My thoughts on "Sexism in the atheist movement"

Tonight our local atheist group went to a party.

I'd just like to take a minute to point out that it isn't always females who are bombarded by flirtation, because I don't think this is brought up enough. I'd also like to point out that this flirtation is not in and of itself a "problem." Our group tonight is the perfect example.

One of the men in our group was absolutely swarmed by the women at this party. All night he had a flock of them around him. Afterwards, posts from women in the group included some of the following regarding the night.
-----------------------------
 "Agreed! Like I said, I had an effing blast. Although, the pool was VERY cold. Def worth watching all the boys' dicks shrivle up tho."

"And yeah dude, the girls were DEF digging you. Cant say I didn't notice you from my car >.>"

"So K, how does it feel to be the MCAA sex symbol nao?"

"I mean, if he IS the Sex Symbol, he has to have nudes. I'm just saying."

"Shit, I couldn't look at him for more than 10 seconds without having to look away or start screaming random sexual profanities."

"I'm a flirt, can't help it."
-----------------------------

To refer to this as "sexism in the atheist movement" is useless at best.

This sort of stuff is not exclusive to the ATHEIST movement nor is it exclusvie to just women and I don't think we can point this out enough. I'm fairly certain that the feminazis understand this already, but I think it's something we need to keep talking about. To pin this down as any particular group's problem is a waste of effort. This type of behavior is universal across all groups of humans. It's the same with theists, social clubs, and like I've said before Xbox Live even. There is no indication that it is worse in the atheist movement than in any other movement and I would argue that in fact it's less for many reasons: 1. There is no atheist dogma that insists women are less human or less important than men as there IS with religion. 2. Though we do vary in many ways, regarding a wide array of topics, we have more in common morally speaking than your typical social group (such as, book clubs and the like) and the vast majority of us are capable of understanding where a line should be drawn, whereas with other social groups the variety of ideas are often far more diverse. 3. We're not shrouded by invisibilty as people are on the internet/xbox live/etc. I'll leave it at that for now.

This type of behavior shouldn't even be a problem UNLESS a person feels harassed or in danger or actually discriminated against. Mere flirtation is not the same as discrimination, nor is it the same as sexism. Speaking on someone's appearance may be superficial to some but in no way does that equate to "sexism." It's called sexuality and biology and I suggest you all learn to embrace it.

True sexism is an ugly thing and I think it would be more effectively dealt with on a case by case and a person by person basis.

However, even if you are thoroughly convinced that this IS sexism then I just ask that it be called that. Call it "sexism" and not "sexism in the atheist movement" because it's not an atheist problem, it's a human problem and there is far less of it in the atheist movement and to continue to refer to it as an atheist problem is a huge disservice for what is probably the most tolerant and accepting of all groups.

-ironkidd

1 comment:

  1. Quite. And: Accurate.
    "Sexism" is one of those nebulous terms that one "knows" when one encounters it, but cannot quite explain.
    You are correct if you imply that sexism is an ongoing human male-female interaction.

    But "Rebecca-gate" was more than this.
    Much, much more than this.

    My primary complaint in the whole affair was, (and still is),
    that RW chose to abuse her (unwarranted, in my opinion) position of power on a world-stage in order to slag-off a member of the audience, who had (let's face it) no effective opportunity of redress.

    That is, and remains, the sole point of the brouhaha.

    RW is quite clearly a sexist opportunist, as can be demonstrated through her various interviews and blog posts.
    She (sincerely) makes me ashamed to be a feminist.

    ReplyDelete